Friday, November 24, 2023

Lynne Guest CT - DIY Washi Tape

Hi everyone, here's my second Guest CT post!


I like the effect of using washi tape on my cards, but not that the design/colours of the project have to be matched to the purchased tape, rather than the other way round. The answer is to make my own, and the Bee Crafty Stamping Tape is the perfect substrate for doing so! Here are the main supplies I used for my card.

I began by laying a strip of the stamping tape across my non stick craft sheet and brushing on various colours of Distress Oxide inks through a stencil from the Dinkables Set 11. (I took the photo before adding the green ink!)

I then made a second strip, this time using the same ink colours but stamping the leaves from the Journaling Essentials 2 stamp set.

My intention was to fill the aperture of the Maple Easy Frame (6”) with strips of the washi tape, so the next step was to cut a piece of orange card to the size of the stencil, draw around the aperture lightly in pencil and cut it out. I cut the leaf stem slightly wider than its actual size , ie. outside the pencil line, as it is very fine and I wanted a bit more of the washi tape to show through.

I stuck sections of the washi tape on to a piece of scrap card, alternating the two patterns and making sure to cover an area larger than the maple aperture to give room for adjustment when placing it over the tape.


Once I was happy with the placement of the aperture panel I adhered it to the washi background (using Distress Collage Medium) and cut away the excess white card.

My base card was 7” by 7” and I stamped a border around the edges of it using the small leaf from the Journaling Essentials 2 set and Bundled Sage Distress Oxide ink. I also darkened the edges slightly by brushing them with Rustic Wilderness ink but without reinking the brush I’d used to ink up the washi tape, as I didn’t want them too dark, just enough to define them.


I trimmed about half a centimetre from each edge of my maple panel to allow more of the base card border to show and then embossed around the panel using a Distress Embossing Dabber and gold embossing powder.

Then it was simply a matter of sticking the panel to the base card and adding the sentiment, which is from the Wordage set Ticker Tape 3. I stamped it with Vintage Photo Distress Oxide ink and cut out each line separately, before arranging them on the panel. And here’s the finished card!


To give you an example of another way to use the Stamping Tape, here’s one I made using the wider version of the tape, showcasing it as a decorative panel across the card. In this case, as well as stencilling it as before, I also overstencilled it in a darker colour for added interest.

I hope I have inspired you to have a go at making your own washi tape! If you decide to try it, please share your creations in the Bee Crafty Facebook Group!

Thanks for looking!


Here are the links to the products I used:

Bee Crafty Stamp & Stencil Tape 22mm x 25m

Bee Crafty Non Stick Craft Sheet 15" x 18"

Rustic Wilderness & Crackling Campfire Distress Oxide Inks

Spiced Marmalade, Bundled Sage & Vintage Photo Distress Oxide Inks


Dinkables Set 11

Inkables Easy Frame - Maple 6"


Journaling Essentials 2 Stamp Set

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...