Monday, April 19, 2021

Sally DT - A sunflower tote Bag

 Did you know that there are several colouring mediums that we use that can be heat set onto fabric? Inktense blocks and inktense pencils are the ones I tend to reach for when crafting with fabric and  decorating items like bags. I made myself a bag recently using some supermarket fat quarters and added a sunflower pocket. 

Here is what I used:

XL Doodle Art sunflower stamp

Versafine Clair ink

Calico 

Inktense blocks

Embroidery thread

5 coordinating fat quarters 

Braid

Material for straps and lining (I used a pillowcase) 


First I stamped the sunflower using the Versafine Clair ink onto the calico. I find this easiest to do using a stamp press as the magnets secure the cloth at the right tension. Then I painted it with the inktense blocks and a water brush (inktense pencils would work equally well). Once this is complete, iron it to heat set it. 


Next I cut 4 different strips from the fat quarters each 55cm x 10cm and sewed these together. I added a 10 cm strip at the top and bottom too, adding some braid over the seam. 


I attached the sunflower panel to a 17x 25cm rectangle of the fat quarter using blanket stitch and made a pocket on the front of the bag, before sewing up the side seams.

Finally I made straps and a lining from a pillowcase and attached around the top. 

Here is the finished bag.


I fancy making a few more of these - I'm thinking a seaside themed one next! 
Thanks for looking! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...