Monday, November 19, 2018

Lorre-Anne DT - MDF Mixed Media tutorial

Hi everyone, for my Bee Crafty DT post this week I wanted to share a tutorial on how I made this MDF plaque using the new MDF set released by Bee Crafty last Monday on Hochanda.  I've only recently got in to mixed media so I'm very much at the learning stage myself.


My finished piece


The MDF as it comes



The Distress Oxides I have chosen to use, I wanted autumnal colours so opted for Brushed Corduroy, Crushed Olive, Rusty Hinge, Fired Brick.



The materials used in creating my piece - White gesso Structure paste, Pentart Rust Effect paints, Copper & Gold Wax paste


I applied a few coats of white gesso to the front and back of all the pieces of MDF I wanted to use, drying with a heat tool between each coat.


I stamped 3 leaves using the BEAUtanicals Nettle Leaf Set using a selection of Oxide colours, and also stamped the tree branch from the Large Branch & Tree Set on to some rice paper using Onyx Black Versafine ink. I roughly placed everything on the MDF base to get an idea where I wanted it before gluing it down. 


I used the Pentart Rust Effect paints to add some colour to the base , and the other MDF pieces.  I used a dry paintbrush to add the various colours in the kit.


I again roughly placed the various elements on to the base before gluing to see if I liked the look.  I stamped the sentiment using Versafine ink, and chopped it into 4 separate bits.


I used some matt Mod Podge to adhere the rice paper to the MDF base, and used a water brush to blend the Oxides over the stamped leaves.


I applied some Gold Wax to the letters to give a metallic feel.


The Rust Effect paints and Gold Wax on the MDF.


My finished piece of art.. I glued everything down using 3D glue and added some twine.

I really enjoyed making this and I hope my tutorial will help someone just starting out in mixed media, and encourage them to have a go!

Hugs, Lorre-Anne x

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...