Saturday, December 16, 2017

Jane DT - Swift Wings Art Journal Page

Hello!

I am back again today on the Buzzy Goings on at Bee Crafty Blog with something a little bit different to usual!

For the last couple of years I have been meaning to get into art journaling, and this has meant that I have had in my crafty cupboard a number of journals ready to use.  Although I have done a few pages I haven't really gotten into the flow of using them, so this week I decided to meet two needs in one, getting my large A4 journal started and creating a post for you!!
Here is what I created...

 
 
Unless I am creating specific samples with a certain stamp etc. I tend to start all my other projects by deciding which mediums I want to play with rather than an actual idea of the outcome.  So for this I decided that the distress crayons that have been sat in my stash for some time really deserved to have their day!
 
I started by preparing my page with some white gesso to help with the blending of the crayons, but I applied it with a palette knife to create texture and also leave some areas uncovered.  Then for extra texture I added crackle paste to areas, again using a palette knife and I kept it quite thin for finer crackles...
 
 
 
Next I chose colours from the brightest set of distress crayons (set 1) to add colour across the double page spread.  I applied them one at a time, using the pink, blue and yellow, then creating blends of colour.  Once this had been applied I used the circle stencil by rubbing colour away with a baby wipe...
 
 
After that I used the purple from set 2 to add some colour to some of the circles and then a white posca pen to add some details.
Next I used the sunset stencil with black paint and the cracked glass with white paint for some more pattern...
 
 
 
Then I used the new number background stamp and the XL script stamp with black archival ink, and  the bubble wrap backdrop with white paint (I made sure I cleaned my stamp thoroughly straight after!).  I wanted to create lots of layers and interest in my background, and just really added until I was happy...
 
 
I still required more so used an old plastic card with white gesso to add some lines to the background and also added some black distress crayon (set 3) around the edges to create a frame.
 
Then I needed to create my focal images.  I used the Da Vinci Wings, the Feather Wings and one of the keys, stamping them in black Versafine then using clear embossing powder over the top before cutting them all out.  I used a selection of the distress crayons to colour them, adding a little bit of water to blend the colours out.  To add a bit of extra detail I used gold gilding wax on all the pieces, and also added some to the crackled areas of the background...
 
 
Once I had stuck the pieces where I wanted on the pages they seemed to blend into the background too much, so I used a black Pitt Pen around the edges, blending it with my finger as I went.
Finally I chose a sentiment that matched my pages and what I wanted it to express.  This was stamped and each word cut out by hand before adding colour with the crayons.  Once stuck down I again added the black pen to highlight the words.
 
Once this was all done I finished off the page by adding some white dot highlights.
 
To create my journal pages I used the following products:
 
* Backdrop Stamp - XL Script
* Backdrop Stamp - Numbers
 
I hope you have enjoyed seeing my something a bit different, and I am planning to try to keep on with my art journaling now I have got started!!
 
Happy crafting,
 
Jane xx







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...