Saturday, August 31, 2019

Jane DT - 'Vintage Floral' MDF Tag

Hello!

Today on the Buzzy Goings on at Bee Crafty blog I am sharing a large MDF tag that I have added lots of mixed media layers and texture to...


First I primed the surface with white gesso before adding some crackle paint that I tinted with burnt umber to create a lighter shade of brown.  Once this had dried I added watered down burnt umber to the tag, allowing it to drip in areas...


I then used crackle paste with some sepia pigment powder mixed in and put it through the Mandala 4 inkable.  Once this had dried over night I rubbed some gold gilding wax over the top...


To create a bit more detail in the background I used the Script XL stamp with clear ink and gold embossing powder...


I wanted to create a really built up tag with lots of different textures and materials, so I first added a piece of cambric which I coloured with some burnt umber acrylic paint.  For another layer I took a length of black thread and placed it on top of the cambric.  Next I used some pieces of music and book paper which I had coated with resin and stapled them together...


So far the colours had all been very vintage in tone and I wanted my next layer to be more colourful and act as the main focal point.  I stamped out the Beautanicals Large Poppy, Large rose and Large Sunflower using sepia Versafine and coated the lines with clear powder.  After cutting them out I coloured them using watercolour paints...


As a contrast and to add some extra dimension I painted some of the MDF cogs and keys in burnt umber then added gilding wax.  I stuck these to the tag then added a metal dragonfly from the Steampunk and Junk pieces.  The colours were all fading into the background too much for my liking so I added some dry brushing using green gold and titan buff acrylic paint, then when I was happy added some gold acrylic splatters...


Finally I raided my bead stash and added a few clusters of beads, then chose the sentiment which I stamped out and cut into sections before adding to the tag...



Here are the products that I used:

* Beautanicals - Large Poppy; Large Rose; Large Sunflower
* Backdrops - Script XL
* Wordage - Life and Rain (Large)
* Inkables - Mandala 4
* MDF - Large Tag
* MDF - Cogs
* MDF - Keys
* Steampunk and Junk - Dragonfly

I really enjoyed creating this piece and thank you for looking!

Happy crafting,

Jane xx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...